Imagine that you’re moving into another city and want to transport your items. For starters, you’re hiring a packers and movers company and want to know the estimate for moving. Are you confused about how to call the company and ask for estimates? Well, there are two types of estimates, namely phone estimates, and in-house estimates.
Also Read: Best Packers And Movers in Chandigarh City
What Are Phone And In-House Estimates?
Phone estimate involves a phone conversation with the packers and movers company. You describe the furniture and materials that are to be transported and the company provides you with an estimate based on your word of the materials. In-house estimate or sometimes called professional estimate is where a professional or agent is dispatched by the company to estimate the cost of moving considering all factors such as materials, additional charges, and other things.
How Exactly Do They Differ From Each Other?
A phone estimate is an easier method since it involves your convenience and time rather than professional assertion. You can converse with the company from your home, walking through the bedroom or hall, and list all the furniture and boxes one after another. Since a listing of materials to be moved is only required to make this happen, it avoids the presence of an agent coming home. It can also help you under time constraint conditions or when present elsewhere.
An in-house estimate is a time-consuming but the most accurate method because of the condition it proposes. An agent assesses the substances to be transported, drawing an accurate estimate and including all charges that may be incurred. It provides you with an exact consideration of the charge for moving and does not involve any misjudgment or discrepancies.
What Are The Steps Of Estimation
- Listing Inventory- Listing the inventory is probably the best method to reduce your inconvenience. This method involves noting down or listing all the items to be transported and done initially, to reduce your difficulty of walking through rooms to explain details over the phone.
- Calling The Company- Since you don’t have to effort yourself like taking a day-off or showing through your house for others, you don’t have to pertain any trouble. Just with a simple call, you can contact a local packers and movers company or a reputed one, to explain the necessities and inventories for moving.
- Quotation- When all the materials are considered, and additional charges involved, a quotation is submitted to you, wherein the cost is mentioned. But care is to be taken that this method can involve a lot of misjudging and inaccuracy.
- Calling The Company- With a final decision, you call the company about the details of moving and they send an agent or a professional over to the house.
- Showing The Rooms Individually To The Assessor- You walk through the assessor into every room, showing all the furniture and things that are to be moved. The agent looks into the materials in detail and considers all the factors beforepricing.
- Estimation Of Final Pricing- A list of inventory is created by the professional and is submitted to you considering and including the additional charges. These additional charges might be like the number of stairs, packing of materials (if necessary), cost of moving large furniture like Piano, Bedding, etc. A final price is quoted to you and you can clarify and talk about the charges there before proceeding.
Advantages of Such Estimation-
Phone Estimates Are-
- Easier And Hassle Free-This method is easier since your convenience is favored and the non-involvement of agents makes it a lot more comfortable. Just imagine showing your house in-and-out to a stranger and all the furniture along with it.
- Quick Method- This method is quick and most suitable since you can complete the deal within an hour or two. Also, it doesn’t involve any waiting or taking days off and can be comfortably done over the evening while working.
- Comfortable For Short Notice Moving- Imagine being posted to another city or state within 5 joining days. Can’t decide the priorities and necessities for transporting. Since you won’t have much time, this method is perfect for such time-constrained conditions. You can make the deal over the phone and look into other priorities easily.
- Perfect If Inventory Is Small- If under certain conditions, you’re in requirement of moving limited materials, then this might be perfect. Since there isn’t much inventory, you can deal over the phone rather than have the trouble of a wait and visit by an agent.
In-House Estimates Are-
- Accurate Estimation- This is sought as the best method because the estimate is submitted by a professional who considers every aspect and factor of every material before quoting the price. Good moving companies hate sudden surprises as well as people since they don’t expect last-minute issues. So companies try to be accurate and specific in their quotes and help in avoiding such instances.
- No Extra Fees Incurred- The proposal is submitted by the agent, and considers all additional and other charges, and explains everything to you, so you can ease yourself over such frauds.
- Clearing Discrepancies If Any- Since this method involves face-to-face contact, you can be assured before making the deal or solve any doubts and queries if any
Disadvantages Of These Methods-
Phone Estimates Are-
- Difficult If More Materials Are To Be Transported- If more materials are to be moved, explaining something over the phone about all the materials and their type can be tiring for both you and the company agent and can cause mistakes.
- Missing Inventories- Your understanding of materials might differ from the company in certain aspects and can cause you to leave out certain materials from the inventory list. This can create issues at the time of moving. Also, human error is unavoidable and you can miss a thing or two from the listing.
- Miscommunication- Even if everything can be properly said and listed, technology can’t be depended on sometimes. Communication due to a bad signal or mishearing can cause an error in listing and pricing and can cause unnecessary issues in the end.
- Frauds And Scams- Not to sound scary but scams can be made over in phone estimates. A simple example might be quoting a higher price than necessary or adding price to the final bill at the time of moving by stating conditions.
In-House Estimates Are-
- Need To Be House Present – Like already said, you may have a busy schedule or meeting that might need to be rescheduled or to be sorted so that a professional can estimate the price. And considering the importance of time, it might be difficult for you.
- Walk Through Rooms- It might feel like invading your privacy when you have to walk through rooms and show your materials but that’s how you can get it done.
What Is Face-Time Estimation-
Recent trends involve the estimation of prices through video-calling and pricing the materials. Although it is technology-dependent and incorporates both phone and in-house estimation, it can provide together both the benefits of phone and in-house estimation.
Although both have their perks and downfalls, they are situation and comfort-dependent. So, get ahead with your shifting and plan your required method.