You are a book lover. You love your books and take great care of them.
When you plan to move to a new home, you want to take your personal book collections along with you. But there is one problem.
You want to move your personal library safely without damage to any of your books and bookcase. You are searching for a detailed guide that explains thoroughly the steps and processes involved in moving your books and bookcase securely.
If this is the case, you’ve come to the right place!
In this post, we are going to have a closer look at how to pack a bookcase for moving and the steps involved in it.
So without any further delay, let’s get started!
Also Read: How To Pack Boots For Moving
Before Packing A Bookcase
You already know that books are heavy and it isn’t easy to move them from one place to another. And if you are moving to a faraway location from your present area, the process becomes even more tedious.
The same goes for bookcases. They are large, heavy, and difficult to move. Usually, bookcases are susceptible to scratching, denting, and chipping.
Hence, you need to protect it pretty carefully in order to keep away unwanted damages. Even though this is the general scenario, packing your bookcase and moving it to your new home doesn’t have to be stress-inducing work.
You need to take extra care in preparing and moving your bookcase to your new home. In the upcoming sections, we’ll dive deep into the steps involved in packing and moving your bookcase.
Also Read: How To Plan Your Next Shifting
Steps Involved In Packing And Moving Your Bookcase To Your New Home Is Your Bookcase Worth Moving?
This is an important question to consider when you plan to move a heavy and bulky piece of furniture such as your bookcase. There is no doubt that you are going to put forward a lot of effort, cash, and time into moving it safely.
So, it is important to decide whether your bookcase is worth moving.
Apart from that, you need to purchase a lot of packing material in order to securely pack your bookcase. People who are going to move heavy furniture must be specialized in it to avoid unwanted damage.
Depending on the complexity of the job, the total weight of the shipping item, and the specialized tools involved, the moving cost increases. Therefore, you must carefully consider all these things before you plan to move your bookcase to your new home.
Also Read: How to Pack and Move Outdoor Furniture?
Factors To Consider Before You Plan To Move Your Bookcase
It is necessary to consider certain key factors before you plan to move your bookcase. They are.
- Make sure that your new home is a perfect fit for the bookcase. It is critical. If your new home isn’t a perfect fit for the bookcase, why bother moving it? the unnecessary moving cost can be reduced and you can buy a new bookcase that is the right fit for your home.
- The quality of your bookcase. Let’s say that your bookcase is made of high-quality material that has a sentimental attachment to your home and your family, then you most probably want to keep it. Right? pay close attention to this fact.
- The overall condition of your bookcase. Inspect that your bookcase is in good condition and it has the capacity to stay intact during the moving process. Moving a damaged bookcase isn’t worth it in terms of money, time, and effort.
- The difficulty of the moving process and the cost involved in it. As we’ve mentioned earlier, if moving your bookcase is too complex, it is too heavy to ship, your bookcase requires special services to keep it safe while moving, then it is obvious that you need to spend a lot of money to complete the task successfully. So, think about it carefully.
- The distance of your new home. The distance between your current home and the new one is also a key factor in determining the moving cost. So, if the distance is short, then you can go moving. On the other hand, if the distance is long, then you may consider purchasing a new one.
If you are sure that your bookcase is worth moving, then it is important to prepare it in the right way. In fact, you need to start the process well in advance of the moving day.
Take All The Books Out Of Your Bookcase
- The first thing you must do with your bookcase is to take all the books out of it and arrange them in order. Next, separate the books you want to carry with you.
- You can distribute the books you don’t want to either your friends or your neighbors.
- Pack the books as small chunks in packing papers and keep them in a sturdy box.
- Seal the moving boxes strong.
- Right (FRAGILE) and (HANDLE WITH CARE) on at least three sides of each of the boxes.
- Clean the bookcase thoroughly and wipe it after a few minutes with a wet cloth.
- Now that the separation of books, packing the wanted ones, and cleaning of your bookcase is over, you need to know about packing the bookshelves for moving.
Also Read: Best Packers And Movers in Visakhapatnam
Packing Your Bookcase And Bookshelves
- When your bookcase is disassembled and each piece is packed separately, it is easy to move and it is less vulnerable to getting damaged.
- In the event of your bookcase is small and lightweight, you don’t have to worry about disassembling and packing it with sufficient packing paper and padding to avoid any damage to the item.
- After disassembling, pack each shelf of your bookcase separately with padding at both sides, wrapping it with a bubble wrap, and then packing it with a packing paper. This way, damage to the shelves can be avoided.
- If your bookcase has legs, first unscrew each one and pack it individually. If you are unable to remove the legs, wrap them with several layers of packing paper and bubble wrap to keep them safe when moving.
- Remove the headboard of the bookcase and pack it with double side padding.
- Take out the sideboards of your bookcase and pack each one with double padding.
- If you find that the several parts of the bookcase are attached together, then you have to break the joints carefully in order to dismantle it.
- Make sure to either mark or number all the detached pieces such as “1 left sideboard” and “2 right sideboards” and pack them with layers of bubble wrap and packing paper.
- Keep all the nuts, screws, and bolts in a separate bag so that the fastening elements won’t get lost during the moving process.
- Pack the bag with one of the sideboards of your bookcase.
- Make sure that you are following the instructions manual when you are disassembling your bookcase. Even if you don’t have the instructions manual, you’ll be able to find it online.
- If you take pictures during every step of the disassembly, you won’t have trouble reassembling it.
What If You Are Unable To Disassemble Your Bookcase?
- If you have a bookcase that is one solid piece of wood, then there is no choice for you other than to move it as it is.
- Make sure to safeguard the doors of your bookcase. If the door has locks, lock it. Otherwise, use ropes and tightly shut it.
- Wrap the entire bookcase in furniture blankets and provide extra padding in the edges and corners to avoid chipping, scratching, and denting. Use packing tape to secure the sealing safely.
We hope that our detailed guide about how to pack a bookcase for moving would have given you a clear idea of the steps you need to follow and the processes involved in packing and moving your bookcase.
Although moving a bookcase looks like a tough job, with proper planning and execution, it can be a simpler process.
Want to share your thoughts with us, put them in the comments section below!